Monday, September 14, 2009

LotoJa 2009

 

Jeff rode his bike in the LotoJa race on Saturday, September 12.  It starts in Logan, Utah and goes to Jackson Hole, Wyoming.  That is 206 miles to be exact.  All in one day.  Crazy, huh?

For the longest time I remember my mom getting so excited when she would see road bikers along the road when we were driving in a car.  I could tell she wanted to yell out the window “Way to go!”  So after a while I would feel myself get so excited to see road bikers too.  Like mother, like daughter.  I thought the bikers were kind of sexy too.  Then I married a road biker who happens to be very sexy.

So here are the events of our day.

Jeff’s start time was 6:55 a.m.  Jeff’s parents, Ben and I all went to the start line.

004

All the competitors had to get their leg stamped with this cool biker stamp.

002

Jeff lined up with all of the people in his category.  006

He is right there in the middle at the front of the start line.   It was still a little dark so it was hard to get a good picture.

010

It is 6:55a.m. exactly and here goes his group.  He is on the right side of the picture.

011

Here are his dedicated fans.012

003

Jeff’s parents, Karen and Brian, drove his support vehicle.  They would meet him along the course and replenish his supply of food and drink.  Brian is getting our Rav4 ready for the day.  013

Ben and I drove to Rexburg and saw my two brothers, sister-in-law, 3 nephews and 2 nieces.  It was nice to be with them. After visiting I drove to Jackson Hole to get to the finish line. 

I gave my camera to Karen and Brian to take some pictures along the way.

015

017

Looks like they did a little sight seeing.

014

So Jeff made it to the finish line at 6:30 p.m.  It took him 11 and a half hours.  Amazing.  I got a video of him after he passed over the finish line.

Jeff is walking to the car talking to his brother, Rob on the phone. 

018

I couldn’t resist taking this picture.  Nice.  He had a little weed stuck to his bum.

019

Ben and Grandma walking back to the car.

022

We stayed the night in Jackson.  Then drove home on Sunday.  Ben and I were in the back seat together so I could keep him entertained.  He was reaching his limits of car travel and getting a little annoyed.  And I was feeling a little delirious from the ride as well.  We ended up getting really silly.

023

 026

Even Sillier

030

027

Hey Mom!  You are making me look goofy!!

It was a good weekend and we were glad to make it home.   Way to go, Jeff!!

6 comments:

The Hoogland Family said...

wow..truely impressive Jeff. Ben..ahh he is such a cutie!

Rachel said...

I am shocked Jeff was able to walk when he finished to give them his number!

So impressive! Wow! Way to go Jeff and his support family/team.

When I saw you on Sunday unloading I had no idea you'd just gotten back from such an adventure. I should have guessed from the grin on Jeff's face. :)

Tami said...

I was wondering if Jeff was going to ride in LotoJa this year and said that to my sis-in-law (who her and her husband do the ham radio & tires for the race) Well she text us and said she saw the 2 of you...I guess Jeff's dad is her stake president. So way to go. That is such a LONG ride! And I love the pictures!

Chastina said...

Wow! That is impressive. I love the look of pure exhilaration on Jeff's face. What a fun weekend for your family!

Rob and Marseille said...

is his jacket from a sponsor, or is that just a typical roadbiker's jacket?

Margaret said...

His jersey is one that he bought himself. That would have been great if he could have gotten some sponsors but no one wants to pay him to ride his bike yet.