My current obsession is quilting. I can’t get enough of it and I lay in bed at night dreaming about the quilts I want to make. I have been following a really great quilting blog CrazyMomQuilts for a little while that inspired me with my most recent projects that I will show you at the very end of this post. She is obsessed with quilting but MUCH MUCH more obsessed than me. But CrazyMomQuilts stopped posting stuff on January 1, 2010. And I miss her quilt blog so I am making my own quilt post to show you my quilt history.
When I was a single gal several years ago one of my former roommates, Tami, got me interested in quilting. My first project was making a rag quilt for myself. Here it is below. I didn’t get too creative with the colors but I have always been a big green lover so I liked it.
Then she showed me a pattern for a snowman quilt that I made for my mother. And I used the same fabric from the snowman quilt to make a lap quilt for my dad. I keep forgetting to take pictures of these quilts so I looked through some pictures and I found a couple to give you an idea. The snowman quilt is on the back of the couch and it doesn’t show very much but you can see a little bit of it at least.
Here is the lap quilt.
It was simple but my dad loves it and takes his afternoon snoozes with it.
Then I didn’t make any quilts for a few years until I met someone else to inspire me. My friend Nancy. She is my visiting teacher and comes to visit me every month and told me about some quilt classes that were being offered around Utah County. So my mother-in-law and I signed up for one down in Payson which met every two weeks for 6 months and look what we each created.
This hangs in my kitchen. It is probably a little smaller than a queen size.
I was hooked after this one.
I made a couple of lap rag quilts for Jeff’s two sisters who are college girls. (Now one is a mission and the other goes into the MTC on March 17) I don’t have good pictures of those quilts either. I found this one on Facebook of Megan holding her quilt. Megan is in the middle. (the green bag is not part of the quilt) His other sister, Emily, is the blond on the right of Megan. I made one for her too but I do not have a picture of it. It is a pink and brown quilt.
Then I made a baby quilt for my niece, Madelyn. This is the only picture I could find. Sorry, Leah.
My sister was nursing and had her boots on because she saw a mouse earlier in her house and was freaked out about it.
Then I made one for Erica.
Ben was so fortunate to have several people give us blankets for him before and after he was born. I think my neighbors and family were pretty darn excited about him because everyone knew how long it took me to get pregnant. I counted up one day of all of the blankets given to me and there were 16. There were 4 quilts.
This is one that my boot-wearing sister made for Ben. I got to pick out the fabric. I picked out the monkey fabric and then she found the other fabrics to go with it and made this adorable flannel rag quilt.
My other sister made the blue and white quilt in the basinet. This picture was taken a few days before Ben was born. His bed was all ready for him.
My mother-in-law made this cute flannel blanket.
My quilting inspiration, Nancy, made this one for Ben. As you can tell she is pretty darn good.
So that brings me to my currently finished projects. I had two nephews born in November and so I made baby quilts for each of them.
I didn’t do the quilting (wavy sewn lines) on this one. I hired some one to do it because it is fairly challenging to do. I hope to post my finished projects in the future.
9 comments:
Keep em coming. As you know.......I love quilting!!!!
Beautiful! I LOVE the quilt hanging in your kitchen!! What a fun class :)
You're doing awesome at all of this quilting! I can't wait to see more.
What a beautiful post. Really beautiful quilts(you are so talented), but the best part is that they are stitched with love- the best gift you could ever give.
I can't wait to see more.
I now have quilt envy!
Beautiful! I love them.
thank you so much for that lovely picture of me in my boots! We love that quilt! You need to print your pictures and put them in a book! I love that blog too! I will have to send you some other blogs that I love too.
Awesome job Marg! You are sooo talented!
You are so talented! I haven't dared to try quilting. I love the one on Erica's bed, and in your kitchen. So cute!
It is wonderful to be obsessed with good things! I wish all of my obsessions were as good as this one of yours. That was truly a beautiful journey in pictures! Thanks for the inspirational post!
Those are so awesome! It makes me wish I could use a sewing machine with out the bobbin getting tangled every 5 minutes!!
Post a Comment